PILCHARDS CORNER THE WHITE COTTAGE UNION CELLARS INCLUDING THE WHITE COTTAGE AND PILCHARDS CORNER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129877

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: PILCHARDS CORNER

Statutory Address: THE WHITE COTTAGE

Statutory Address: UNION CELLARS INCLUDING THE WHITE COTTAGE AND PILCHARDS CORNER

Map

Ordnance survey map of PILCHARDS CORNER
THE WHITE COTTAGE
UNION CELLARS INCLUDING THE WHITE COTTAGE AND PILCHARDS CORNER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:23:31.

Location

Statutory Address: PILCHARDS CORNER

Statutory Address: THE WHITE COTTAGE

Statutory Address: UNION CELLARS INCLUDING THE WHITE COTTAGE AND PILCHARDS CORNER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Endellion

National Grid Reference: SX0028180770

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 08 SW ST ENDiLLION PORT GAVERNE 2/106 Union Cellars including the White - Cottage and Pilchards Corner GV II Fish cellars now store and domestic accommodation. Circa early C19. Stone rubble and cob, partly weather-boarded and slate-hung. Slate and asbestos slate roof with hipped ends. 2 storey range on south west with narrow projecting single-storey wing adjoining on south east and further narrow single-storey range at right angles on north east to form overall 'U' shaped plan around open courtyard. Enclosing the yard on the north west a front wall, set slightly back with a central entrance and double doors. The open yard has been grassed to form a garden for the 2 converted houses on the south west. 'The White House' on the north of this 2-storey range retains C19 fenestration. The pilchard catch was loaded into leaky hogsheads and placed on a wooden platform or gutter against the wall. The fish were then crushed by large stones, suspended from long pressing beams which were slotted into the brick niches which remain largely intact along the outer wall of the north east wing. The nets and tackle were kept in storage lofts, probably on the south west and the single-storey wings on the south east and north east were probably originally open-fronted to the yard with roofs supported on timber posts, providing shelter for the pilchard catch, for the drying of fish and also the storage of merchandise landed at the quay of Port Gaverne. 3 further converted fish cellars remain to the east (Venus cellars) to the south east (Liberty Cellars and Rashleigh Cellars, qv). N.J.G. Pounds 'Cornish Fish Cellars' Antiquity 1944 (18) 36-41.

Listing NGR: SX0028180770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351438

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Antiquity' in Antiquity, , Vol. 18, (1944), 36-41

End of official listing