RASHLEIGH CELLARS INCLUDING SALTER'S COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129878

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: RASHLEIGH CELLARS INCLUDING SALTER'S COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RASHLEIGH CELLARS INCLUDING SALTER'S COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 11:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address: RASHLEIGH CELLARS INCLUDING SALTER'S COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Endellion

National Grid Reference: SX0033280728

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 08 SW 2/108

ST ENDELLION PORT GAVERNE Rashleigh Cellars including Salter's Cottage

GV II Fish cellars, now used as store, garages and domestic accommodation. Circa early C19. Partly rendered stone rubble and cob. Brick and weather-boarded kipper house on west. Rag and scantle slate roofs with hipped ends. 2 storey main range on south east with courtyard in front, flanked by narrow 2-storey projecting wing on south west with kipper house and narrow single-storey wing on north east, open-fronted to yard with roof supported on timber posts. Enclosing the cobbled yard on the north west, a front wall with central entrance and double doors. The pilchard catch was loaded into leaky hogsheads and placed on a wooden platform or gutter, against the wall. The fish were then crushed by large stones, suspended from long pressing beams which were slotted into the brick niches which remain intact along the stone rubble wall of the north east wing. The herring catch was kippered in the smoking house in the south west wing which remains largely intact with the louvered openings partly restored. The nets and tackle were kept in storage lofts on the south west and additionally, the cellars were also used to store merchandise such as coal which was landed at the quay of Port Gaverne to the north. The Rashleigh cellars retain their largely unaltered plan. 3 other cellars also remain to the north west ( qv Union Cellars), to the north east (Venus Cellars) and to the east (Liberty Cellar). N.J.G. Pounds 'Cornish Fish Cellars' Antiquity 1944 (18) 36-41.

Listing NGR: SX0033280728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351440

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Antiquity' in Antiquity, , Vol. 18, (1944), 36-41

End of official listing