CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129915

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:36:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dodleston

National Grid Reference: SJ 36188 60927

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 36 SE DODLESTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD (South east side) 2/30 Church of St Mary

1/6/1967 II Church, lower stage of tower early C16; remainder of church rebuilt by John Douglas, 1870, in Perpendicular style. Red sandstone with graded grey slate roofs in two parallel ridged spans over nave and north aisle. Two-stage tower with short spire within the crenellated parapet; nave with north aisle; chancel; north vestry; half timbered gabled north porch. Panel tracery to east windows; square headed north and south windows with cusped tracery. Interior. Four-bay nave arcade on octagonal columns; arched braced trusses to nave roof; painted chancel roof. Fragment of a medieval coffin and a framed royal coat of arms (1660) mounted on west wall; beneath the tower, tomb of Sir Thomas Egerton Baron Ellesmere and Viscount Brackley (died 1617), and of his wife Elizabeth dated 1588 (Latin inscriptions). Octagonal font, probably C17. Late C19 stained glass in east window. The church adjoins the site of a motte and bailey castle.

Listing NGR: SJ3618860927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55226

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing