CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1129936

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SARN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:12:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SARN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Threapwood

National Grid Reference: SJ 44002 45329

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 44 NW THREAPWOOD SARN ROAD (East side)

3/39 Church of St John 1.3.67 II*

Church, formerly an extraparochial chapel 1815. Brick, slate roof. Rectangular intact Georgian church. West end has pedimented gables and brick pilaster strips at angles and either side of central moulded pedimented doorcase which is in timber. Brick band at eaves level, gable modillions. East end is plain, north and south sides are symmetrical, with 5 windows with stone cills, brick heads and iron glazing bars, 2 to each side of door; one blind window over door, which has moulded timber doorcase. Brick plinth is chamfered and has moulded stone caps at angles. Octagonal open cupola at west end has ogival lead roof, and finial. Interior: Iron galleries with timber rail round 3 walls supported an iron columns broken at west end by pedimented panelled timber niche with scroll brackets over door. Similar iron altar rail and front to pews. 2 box pews at sides of altar for the patrons, the Broughton and Kenyon families, have brass name plates. Panelled timber reredos in 3 parts, bearing Lords Prayer and Credo to left and right and extract from Exodus in divided central panel. Moulded cornice continues as base of gallery. Octagonal pulpit, reading desk. 2 brass chandeliers (1817). Pevsner and Hubbard. Richards.

Listing NGR: SJ4400245329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55180

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)

End of official listing