CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1129940
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:42:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tilston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 45743 50582

Details

SJ 45 SE TILSTON CHURCH ROAD (East side)

1/46 Church of St Mary 1.3.67 II*

Church, C16, on site of earlier church (Rectors since 1301), with probably earlier work in tower. 1659 Leche chapel. Major rebuild by J Douglas, 1877-79, including new chancel, vestry and nave roof. Red sandstone with steeply pitched tile roof. Nave, chancel, west tower, north doorway, chapel and vestry. 3 bay nave has deeply recessed 3- light mullion windows with Perpendicular hood moulds between stepped buttresses with splayed plinths. Perpendicular hood moulds to north and blocked south doorways. Sundial on south-west buttress. Embattled tower with stepped corner buttresses, low pitched early Tudor west doorway with hood mould. Blocked south doorway. Deeply recessed pointed window with reticulated tracery and bell openings. Canopied niche over west doorway. Figure stops to hood moulds, figure gargoyles. Interior: Beam inscribed "PW (ARBURTON) 1618 AW (ARBURTON)". Reused Elizabethan coffering in chancel. J Douglas scissor truss nave roof. Slat baluster altar rail and gate, gate dated 1677. Altar table (altered) dated 1677, and C18 early Georgian octagonal pulpit. Most glass is C19, some early medieval painted glass. (Pevsner and Hubbard, Richards).

Listing NGR: SJ4574350582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55187
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/01096/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geraint Wyn Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].