2 OLD SCHOOL HOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129946

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: 2 OLD SCHOOL HOUSES, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 OLD SCHOOL HOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:35:53.

Location

Statutory Address: 2 OLD SCHOOL HOUSES, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Aldford

National Grid Reference: SJ 42095 59077

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 NW ALDFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD (West side) 6/7 2 Old School Houses

II

Former Schoolhouse, opened April 1872 (Aldford Boys School Logbook in Cheshire Record Office), closed as a school in 1912 and converted to 2 cottages. Built at the expense of the 3rd Marquis of Westminster adjoining the site of an earlier school (tithe map for Aldford 1837 in Cheshire Record Office). Brown brick, English garden wall bond, on battered plinth of squared snecked rubble sandstone; half timbered gables. Steeply pitched red tile roofs with 2 rectangular brick chimneys on main ridge. One and a half storeys with a front of 4 windows. The former school hall, left, has gables to front and end on stone corbels; the Schoolmaster's house, right, has a half dormer gable to front and, central, a small dormer under a raking roof. Small-pane iron casements in bevelled mullioned openings of sandstone in the lower storey and timber-framed openings in the upper one. Framed and boarded doors. Interiors not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ4209559077

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55202

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing