PURLEY LODGE AND THE GATEHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130001

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: PURLEY LODGE AND THE GATEHOUSE, PURLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PURLEY LODGE AND THE GATEHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130001 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 01:18:17.

Location

Statutory Address: PURLEY LODGE AND THE GATEHOUSE, PURLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Purley on Thames

National Grid Reference: SU 66062 76387

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 67 SE PURLEY PURLEY LANE

3/15 Purley Lodge and The Gatehouse II House, now subdivided, probably incorporating the remains of a medieval Church which later became a rectory. Complex building comprising fragmentary C13 core with C17 timber framed remains to north refronted in C18 and 2 mid C19 parallel ranges added to south. External appearance mainly C19. The Gatehouse, to east, is stuccoed with incised lines and tiled roof 2 storeys; 3 sashes with horns. End chimney stack. The north or garden elevation of Purley Lodge, containing earlier wing, is of 2 storeys stuccoed with 3 sashes including 2 tripartite ones and doorcase with console brackets and pilasters and has a tower with hipped roof at its eastern end. Western elevation of Purley Lodge is of 2 storeys and attics stuccoed with 2 dormers breaking through the moulded cornice. 2:4 windows, sashes with horns. Late C19 doorcase set in angle turret having wooden penticed weather hood and modern door. Purley Lodge retains traces of C17 timber framing in the cellars and an C18 wine cellar, probable early C19 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread and scrolled tread ends, an early C19 fireplace with eared surround and 6 fielded panelled doors. The Gatehouse retains a most rare medieval lead lined stoup thought to belong to a chapel on the site. This may be the remains of a church, first mentioned in 1291, which belonged at first to the Lords of the Manor but passed probably in the C14 to the College of St Edmund in Salisbury, and was taken into the King's hands at the time of the Dissolution. In 1595 the church was described as "a parsonage propriate sometime belonging to the dissolved College of St Edmund". By 1623, this building had became a rectory and was still one in 1914. (V.C.H Berkshire Vol III P.422)

Listing NGR: SU6606276387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473215

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 422

End of official listing