GAIA HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130004

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: GAIA HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAIA HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130004 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:34:47.

Location

Statutory Address: GAIA HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Denbury and Torbryan

National Grid Reference: SX 81995 68747

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 77 SE TORBRYAN

4/27 Gaia House -

- II

Retreat house, formerly a rectory. Late C17 (or possible earlier) enlarged in 1847. Painted render, solid walls. Slated roofs. Double-depth plan with a third range abutting and at right-angles to the other plan with a third range abutting and at right-angles to the other two. Two storeys. The three ranges are of quite distinct character and (presumably) date. Front range of 1847 in romantic 'Tudor' style. Four-window front with large, two-storeyed gabled entrance-porch off-centre to left. Angle-buttresses, moulded coping with kneelers. Moulded doorway with two-centred arch and hood-mould; inner door of two leaves, the upper part and the fanlight above with small-paned glazing and margin lights. One window above and stone bell-turret and bell in gable, the latter projecting on corbels and with a shouldered head, probably inserted reset work. Large projecting chimney-stack with off-sets to right shaft rebuilt. Ground storey has window at either side of porch, these and the four second-storey windows having mullioned and transomed wood casements 2 panes below transom. All but the right-hand second-storey window have straight heavily-moulded hood-mould. Rear range predominantly of late C17. Four- window front with three large projecting stone chimney-stacks, each having on top a pair of diagonally-set brick shafts of C19 date. All windows (except for C19 French window to left of ground storey) have wood casements of 3 lights, the mullions of square section with light ogee mouldings internally and ovolo mouldings externally. Third second-storey window from left a half-landing stair window. Beneath it a small C19 doorway with four-centred head. Two dormer windows with barge-boards and finials of C19. Interior has wooden dog-leg staircase with closed moulded strings, flat handrail, square newels and turned balusters, rising to garret; balusters, of probably late C17 profile, have been re-set at wider spacings. Roof-structure, probably C19. Lower range with roof mainly at right-angles to the other two except at the garden end which has a gabled roof with a brick stack. 2 later brick shafts in gable; C17 stack with tapered top in front gable. Rear wall has three-light window in each storey matching those in adjacent range. Roof structure not inspected. Both the earlier ranges may have fireplaces and other features hidden under plaster.

Ref. White's Directory of Devonshire 1850 p 433. Formerly known as Denbury Rectory.

Listing NGR: SX8199568747

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473218

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing