SYNAGOGUE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1130015
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
SYNAGOGUE, CATHERINE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130015.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 06:24:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
SYNAGOGUE, CATHERINE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 47869 54354

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4754 CATHERINE STREET, Plymouth 740-1/57/358 (West side) 25/01/54 Synagogue

GV II*

Synagogue. Founded 1762, remodelled interior 1862 and to front and rear after 1874. Stuccoed walls; dry slate roof with coped gable ends; stepped acroterion to front gable. Rectangular aisle-less plan. EXTERIOR: single storey; 2-windows to front end with oculus with star of David above; 3 windows to each side, all round-arched windows with coloured leaded glass, and 2-storey entrance end with 4 windows within eared architraves to 1st floor. 3 segmental arched doorways with continuous cornice consoles. INTERIOR: virtually complete C18 interior with latticed women's gallery with thin iron columns, extended to N and S sides in 1862; 2 fluted Corinthian columns flanking an arch filled with a coffered pattern and with large urns to the entablature; the Bimah to centre surrounded by C18 turned balustrade surmounted by 8 original brass candlesticks; original pine benches; carved wooden ark, lavishly decorated and gilded, and set of silver bells. This is the oldest English Ashkenazi synagogue, and in a national context is a remarkable example which both predates and is more complete than any other synagogues. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 648).





Listing NGR: SX4786954354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
473229
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 648

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07541/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew C. Letchford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].