CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING OF THE WEST SAXONS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130025

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING OF THE WEST SAXONS, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING OF THE WEST SAXONS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:32:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING OF THE WEST SAXONS, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 49797 57797

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4957NE CHURCH HILL, Eggbuckland 740-1/29/240 (South West side) 25/01/54 Church of St Edward, King of the West Saxons (Formerly Listed as: EGG BUCKLAND Church of St Edward, King of the West Saxons)

II*

Parish church. c1430, chancel and N aisle after 1864, 2-storey NE vestry 1907 by TR Kitsell. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings except for 1906 extension of rock-faced Plymouth limestone brought to course; dry slate roofs with coped gable ends and red crested clay ridge tiles; lead roof to vestry; 2 round stacks over N wall. PLAN: C15 nave, W tower, S aisle and porch; C19 N aisle and chancel; 1906 extension at E end of N aisle; 1907 NE vestry. EXTERIOR: C15 traceried 3-light windows to S aisle, 2 C19 single-light cusped windows to S wall of chancel (possibly a copy or based on the design of original chancel windows) C15 windows to tower, otherwise C19 and C20 windows in Perpendicular style. Embattled 3-stage tower has strings dividing stages, buttresses to lower stages and pinnacles of Plymouth type (C19 copies); 2-light slate louvred windows to upper stage; W side also with single light over 3-light window above C15 4-centred arched doorway; stair to NE corner. Porch has C15 4-centred arched doorway and there is a 2-centred arched inner doorway, also there is a narrow C15 4-centred arched priest's doorway in the angle at the E end of the S aisle. INTERIOR: 4-bay arcades of standard A (Pevsner) type and depressed arches; C19 roofs. FITTINGS: C15 octagonal font, the bowl with shields, the pillar with blank arches. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 643).





Listing NGR: SX4979757797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473239

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 643

End of official listing