This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1130026

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH HILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Plymouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-May-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4952NE CHURCH HILL ROAD 740-1/78/597 (East side) 01/05/75 Plymstock, Hooe (Lower) Church of St John (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH HILL ROAD Plymstock, Lower Hooe Parish Church of St John's)

GV II

Parish church. 1855 by William White. Plymouth limestone rubble walls with limestone dressings; very steep dry slate roofs; bellcote with paired openings over the W end of the nave. STYLE: simple early-mid Gothic. PLAN: nave; long chancel; S aisle and S porch. EXTERIOR: paired lancet windows with quatrefoils over. Porch has pointed -arched doorway with 2 chamfered orders. INTERIOR: 5-bay arcade of unmoulded pointed arches on squat octagonal black marble piers with chamfered capitals; painted roof trusses to chancel. FITTINGS: red marble font on slightly tapered limestone base; very complete chancel furnishings of coloured marble in early Decorated style; reredos with gabled arcading and pierced tracery; credence shelf with little Gothic aedicule; communion rails with trefoil arches; simple marble sedilia; alter front with carved and painted wooden tracery; choir stalls moved to W end of church in 1968; screen of 1907; linenfold panelling to nave, 1916 by Violet Pinwell. STAINED GLASS: mostly post-war, some by G Cooper Abbs. MONUMENTS: 2 Gothic tablets to the Rev. J Tapson, who died 1904, and family. Part of a distinguished group by White, including St Johns Church Hall (qv), built on the initiative of Sir Frederick Rogers who was a keen Tractarian. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 681 & 682).





Listing NGR: SX4951652681

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 681-682

National Grid Reference: SX 49516 52681

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 06:35:47.

End of official listing