CHURCH OF ST BUDEAUX

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130049

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BUDEAUX, CROWNHILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BUDEAUX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 00:18:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BUDEAUX, CROWNHILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 45428 59285

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4559SW CROWNHILL ROAD, St Budeaux 740-1/13/617 (North side (off)) 25/01/54 Church of St Budeaux (Formerly Listed as: ST BUDEAUX Church of St Budoc)

GV II*

Parish church. Re-used C13/C14 features to tower, rebuilt 1563 on site given by Richard Budockshead; restored and refitted by James Hine in 1876. Local rubble with granite dressings; dry slate roofs with coped gable ends. PLAN: nave/chancel; equal N and S aisles; W tower and S porch and C20 vestry to NW angle. EXTERIOR: unaltered elevations with original windows and doorways except that tower incorporates earlier fragments and its doorway is a C19 replacement with pointed arch and planked door with strap hinges. 3-stage unbuttressed and embattled tower has strings dividing stages and slender corner pinnacles; Y-traceried windows with louvred lights to upper stage; single-light windows to middle stage and 2-light window with cusped tracery over doorway. The other parts of the church have mostly 3-light windows with 4-centred arched central lights flanked by round-arched lights, all under 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. S aisle has 1 arched window flanked by 2 with flat arches. 4-centred arched doorways, the moulded S porch doorway with sunk spandrels and square hoodmould; sundial over; blocked doorway to E end of N wall. INTERIOR: has limewashed rubble walls with exposed rear arches; pointed tower arch of 2 orders; simple C19 replica waggon roofs, and 4-bay arcades with depressed arch over standard A (Pevsner) piers. FITTINGS: 1876 by James Hine, the pews with square ends and V-jointed boards and octagonal oak pulpit with quatrefoils. MONUMENTS: Roger Budockshead and family and Sir William Gorges and family, 1600; marble and slate 2-panel pilastered chest tomb with slate top and Baroque backplate surmounted by coat of arms with segmental arch on Tuscan columns to John Fownes who died 1669; an aedicule with Ionic columns; a cartouche with drapery to Lewis Stanley who died in 1693, another to Charles Fortesque, a Corinthian freestone and marble aedicule, both with angels' heads; 2 floor slabs: one to Richard Trevail, died 1665, the other dated 1648. HISTORY: Sir Francis Drake was married here in 1569. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: 1989-: 642).



Listing NGR: SX4542859285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473286

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 642

End of official listing