This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BELMONT HOUSE (YOUTH HOSTEL) BELMONT PLACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BELMONT HOUSE (YOUTH HOSTEL) BELMONT PLACE

List entry Number: 1130060

Location

BELMONT HOUSE (YOUTH HOSTEL) BELMONT PLACE, DEVONPORT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Plymouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-May-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473329

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4655 DEVONPORT ROAD, Stoke 740-1/42/653 (East side (off)) 01/05/75 Belmont House (Youth Hostel), Belmont Place (Formerly Listed as: DEVONPORT ROAD, Devonport Belmont House (Youth Hostel))

GV II*

Large detached villa. 1820 by John Foulston for John Norman. Stucco with stucco detail; roof hidden behind parapet with moulded cornice. Neo-classical style with Greek Revival porch. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-bay SW and SE fronts with central porticos. SE 1:3:1-window garden front has distyle-in-antis Doric portico with dentils and wreaths to entablature surmounted by stepped parapet with Greek key panel; casement windows within eared architraves; central bay and windows recessed. SW 1:1:1-window entrance front has pedimented tetrastyle portico with triglyphs; stylobate as steps; blind windows within eared architraves, except for sash over pilastered tripartite doorway with moulded entablature; patterned glazing to sidelights and overlights; original panelled door. INTERIOR: hall has central imperial staircase to gallery carried on large Ionic columns. Fine plaster decoration to hall and picture gallery which has segmental ceiling springing from pilasters with oval lantern on miniature Doric columns. Vestibule has segmental domed ceiling carried on Doric columns. HISTORY: John Norman was a partner in the building firm of Hodge and Norman. He lived at Belmont House until 1845. From 1845 until 1854 it was occupied by a Major General Wilson. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 673).





Listing NGR: SX4611155569

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 673

National Grid Reference: SX 46111 55569

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130060 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:37:25.

End of official listing