This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MILL

List entry Number: 1130073

Location

THE MILL, RIVER END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54888

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

ELTON RIVER BEND The Mill 15/80

The fourth sentence of the description shall be amended to read:- "Ridged concrete tiled roof, corbelled parapet gables."

------------------------------------

ELTON RIVER END TL 0893 15/80 The Mill GV II Water mill. Late C18 or early C19 extended and rebuilt, 'AD 1840' on gable plaque. Coursed limestone with freestone dressings, red brick and timber-frame weather-boarded. Ridged pantiled roof, corbelled parapet gables. Three storeys and attics. Four original bays extended by two bays with lower range to south-east. Undershot wheel included into later building. North-east elevation: One blocked doorway and entrance with double boarded doors and first floor boarded door above. Cast iron windows with stone lintels or segmental brick arches; ground and first floor windows with thirty panes and second floor with twenty panes. Lower range part weather-boarded with panelled door, bay window and hung sash window. Interior mostly intact, with iron and wooden waterwheel c.14 feet diam and c.12 feet wide. The miller's house attached to the north-west was demolished in 1881.

V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p162 Heathcote. Photograph of Mill and Miller's House. HRO.

Listing NGR: TL0852393918

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 162

National Grid Reference: TL 08523 93918

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 02:41:33.

End of official listing