THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130090

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, OUNDLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130090 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:57:44.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, OUNDLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Chesterton

National Grid Reference: TL 12723 95423

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTERTON OUNDLE ROAD TL 1295 (North Side) 13/29 The Priory 11.2.86 GV II House, formerly a rectory. Built for Hon Rev G.Gordon nephew of the Marquis of Huntly; architect W J Donthorne (1799-1859). Gothic revival. Dated 1852, an addition to an C18 building with service extensions, later C19 billiard room linked to east side. Ashlar Ketton limestone and dressings, coursed rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and dressed stone quoins, and C19 painted brick. Collyweston stone slated roofs with patterned ridge tiles, and pantiled roofs. Two storeys and attics, two storey rear service wing, and single storey extensions. Main north-south range with side stack to west slightly advanced from range to east at right angles with gable end stack. Gabled entrance porch facing west in angle between main range and service wing. South elevation: Plain chamfered parapet gables, band between floors with moulded edge, and plinth. Side stack and gable end stack of two stages with moulded cornices and one with embattled decoration. Dated gable plaque '1852', recessed in niche with square head, label and foliate stops. Two similar ground floor three light hung sash windows with ogee-trefoiled-heads and blank shields in spandrels. Two first floor hung sash three-light windows with moulded cornice, one with facade gable, to right hand. Cast iron gutters with scalloped heads. Entrance porch: Gabled with hollow-chamfered parapet coping; diagonal buttress of two stages to left hand of doorway approached by stone steps. Double-leafed door with glazed panels shaped to two-centred archway with continuous moulded orders, label and head stops. Plaque with Huntly achievement or arms recessed in niche above doorway with trefoiled head. Interior: Gothic staircase; three stone chimney pieces, one with ball flower and crocket ornament; original panelled doors; pattern tiles to entrance lobby.

RIBA Collection, building description by W J Donthorne. Dixon and Muthesius Victorian Architecture p257 Colvin 2nd Ed

Listing NGR: TL1272395423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54837

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978), 257

End of official listing