STABLES CIRCA 30 METRES EAST OF ELTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130095

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: STABLES CIRCA 30 METRES EAST OF ELTON HALL, ELTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES CIRCA 30 METRES EAST OF ELTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:33:32.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLES CIRCA 30 METRES EAST OF ELTON HALL, ELTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Elton

National Grid Reference: TL 08933 92975

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

ELTON ELTON HALL TL 09 SE 3/44 Stables c30 metres east of Elton Hall GV II

The grade shall be amended to read Grade II*.

------------------------------------

ELTON ELTON HALL TL 09 SE 3/44 Stables c.30 metres east of Elton Hall GV II

Stables. Circa 1870 including south-west range of former early C18 stables. Built for 4th Earl of Carysfort. Rock faced and hammer dressed limestone with freestone dressings. Welsh slated roofs. One storey and attics, ranges of stables, coach houses and cottages enclosing and partly enclosing two stable yards. Main entrance archway in north-west range surmounted by a clock tower of two stages. North-west elevation: Symmetrical with embattled parapet to tower and flanking walls; plain corbelled parapets to gabled end bays; chamfered plinth; two-centred inner and outer arches with brick vault, arch of two chamfered and moulded orders, arms of the fourth Earl of Carysfort and clock in recesses above archway and flanked by two single-light windows with chamfered and hollow-chamfered reveals and moulded label. End bays with ground and first floor stone mullioned casement windows. Stable yard facades: Boarded stable doors and outer cottage doors with cast iron hinges imprinted 'Charles Collinge Lambeth', and with rectangular fanlights, similar boarded loft doors with gabled parapets and coach house doors shaped to segmental arches. Stable windows, cast iron with large geometric patterned panes. Cottage windows of two and three casement lights with chamfered reveals; facade dormer windows with parapets similar to loft doors and with ball finials. Interior of stables largely complete and original plan unaltered.

V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p158 Elton Hall Historical Guide

Listing NGR: TL0893392975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54852

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 158

End of official listing