This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1130104

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Gidding

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54769

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1083 13/50 28.1.58

GT GIDDING MAIN STREET(North West side)Parish Church of St Michael

GII* Parish church.Mid C13 south doorway resited.Late C13 chancel.Tower early C14,late C14 belfry,C15 parapet and spire.Chancel arch and nave rebuilt C.1400 and late C15 north and south aisles and south porch.Restoration C.1870,south porch rebuilt and chancel restored.Tower and chancel arch rebuilt 1925.Walls of limestone and field stone rubble,Ketton and Barnack ashlar and dressings.Roofs of slates and lead.South elevation:Tower of four stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet with grotesque faces and carved gargoyles,and frieze of quatrefoil panels;tower surmounted by octagonal spire.Belfry windows each with two embattled transomed-lights and quatrefoil in two-centred head.Two tiers of spirelights each with two trefoiled-lights and quatrefoil in a gabled head.Clerestory with four windows of two cinquefoiled-lights with pierced spandrels in four-centred heads.Moulded parapet to nave and aisle with carved gargoyles.South aisle with three windows;mid C14 western window of three trefoiled-ogee-lights with reticulated tracery in a two-centred head;two eastern windows with three cinquefoil-lights in four-centred heads with moulded reveals.South doorway mid C13 with a two-centred head of two orders,the outer order with shafted jambs and moulded capitals with abaci continued as an impost.South porch rebuilt with original material with two-centred archway of two chamfered orders with a moulded label.Chancel with three windows,two original lancet windows similar to north wall and one with reticulated tracery similar to south aisle window.Interior:Nave arcade C.1400 of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders,circular piers and semi-circular responds with moulded capitals and bases.Tower arch two-centred of two chamfered orders,the outer order with semi-octagonal responds,moulded capitals and chamfered plinths.Chancel,north and south walls with arcades of two bays,each with two-centred arches of one stop-chamfered order.C13'low-side' window with doorway.Roofs:nave C.1500 of four bays with moulded and cambered tie beams curved and cusped braces,low king posts and moulded ridge and purlins;south aisle pent roof of five bays with braced tie beams,some reused C15 and C17 timber one inscribed'1629 John Lamb Churchwarden'.Piscenae;in chancel with trefoiled head,moulded jambs and label,late C13;in north aisle with two-centred head and chamfered jambs C14;in south aisle with trefoiled-ogee-head C14.Communion rails, early C17 with three rails and two rows of balusters(qv Leighton Bromswold, Cambs).Small octagonal wooden panel with inscribed square'Sator,Arepo,Tinet,Opera, Rotas' with initials 'ER' and dated '1614'.For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM. RCHM:Huntingdonshire p98 VCH:Huntingdonshire p51 Pevsner:Buildings of England p250

Listing NGR: TL1165583130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 98
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 51
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 250

National Grid Reference: TL 11655 83130

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:52:00.

End of official listing