This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1130115



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Gidding

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/74 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St John Evangelist


Parish church. Former medieval church restored and altered by Nicholas Ferrar c.1625, rebuilt in 1714. Restored and altered in 1853; late C19 south vestry. Walls of red brick with dressings of Ketton stone. Roofs of Collyweston stone slates. West elevation: Moulded plinth and cornice with giant angle pilasters rising above cornice and surmounted by small obelisks with '17' and '14' carved on pedestals. Plain copings to parapet rising to a bell cote with rusticated pilasters and surmounted by a large obelisk tapering to a flat pierced pyramidal head with a ball finial. Doorway with recessed moulded architrave and keystone rising through frieze panel with painted inscription 'This is none other but the House of God and the gate of heaven', moulded cornice above supported by shaped console brackets; boarded oak door and rectangular fanlight with twisted mullions. (North and south walls to nave each with two transomed windows with square-headed arches, plain architraves with keyblocks and moulded sills). Interior: Reredos rearranged in 1853 with one large and two small wooden tablets with cornice and segmental pediments; brass tablets inscribed with Commandments, the Creed and the Lord's Prayer c.1625. Panelling c.1714, in chancel of oak with wooden benches in front supporting a small Doric arcade with moulded cornice, and in nave to full height, raised above C19 collegiate seating. Black and white stone chequered pavement c.1714. Communion table with three original balusters; font c.1625, small brass basin on a balustered stem with brass cover in form of a crown with crosses, fleur-de-lis and trefoils; brass lectern C15 with eagle desk, moulded stem and base, (the font and lectern were given by Mrs Ferrar). Hour glass cdl.625, wrought iron bracket with stand forming a crown; chandelier inscribed to the memory of Rev. Sam. Ed. Hopkinson, d.1841; candle sconces of slender balusters c.1920 by W.A.Lee. Stained glass c.1853. Stuart arms embroidered on fabric by members of the Ferrar family, on west wall. Monuments and floor slabs see RCHM. Nicholas Ferrar (b.1598-d.1637) and his family founded a community in c.1626 at Little Gidding they were visited by Charles I on three occasions. The church was severely damaged by Cromwellian soldiers in 1646 and was almost entirely rebuilt in 1714 when the north transept and west tower were demolished.

RCHM Huntingdonshire p101 VCH Huntingdonshire p53 Pevsner Buildings of England p284

Listing NGR: TL1270481631

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 101
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 53
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 284

National Grid Reference: TL 12704 81631


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:25:43.

End of official listing