ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130121

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 10:30:59.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Upwood and the Raveleys

National Grid Reference: TL 25590 79947

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2579 UPWOOD AND THE RAVELEYS LITTLE RAVELEY

18/77 St James

II*

Former parish church, now a house. Mid C13 chancel, late C14 nave. Restored 1914, converted to dwelling c.1980. Fieldstone and limestone rubble walls with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs with end parapet. The west end of the nave having a gable bellcote for two bells. The lines of the gable of an earlier roof are visible. Plan of Nave and chancel. Nave has two stage diagonal buttressing at south-west corner and two stage angle buttressing to side wall. Two early C16 nave windows of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four centred arch. Doorway in two centred arch with continuous moulded orders. Chancel south doorway in square head with stop chamfered jambs. Low side window and another window of two trefoil lights in a square head. C14 east window of two cinquefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two centred arch. Two stage diagonal buttressing. North wall of nave has two late C14 windows each of two cinquefoil lights with a quatrefoil in two centred head. Between the windows is a C14 doorway. Two centred arch of two chamfered orders. Interior: Chancel arch. C14. Two centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner on engaged columns with moulded capital and base. Piscina in south wall of nave. Trefoil two centred arch. Nave roof, C19, incorporating stop chamfer with nick tiebeams and arch bracing of c.1600 roof. In the chancel the piscina has depressed pointed arch with trefoil and roll moulding to the points. R.C.H.M. Hunts., mon (1) V.C.H. Hunts Vol. II Pevsner: Buildings of England, p286



Listing NGR: TL2559079947

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54710

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936)

End of official listing