This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1130126

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barham and Woolley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54720

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 NW BARHAM AND WOOLLEY BARHAM

7/1 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St Giles

GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 nave and north aisle, chancel and chancel arch c.1300, nave windows C14; restoration c.1850 when porch, north wall of aisle were rebuilt and bellcote added to west gable; west wall and porch rebuilt c.1905 and chancel restored in 1905. Walls of pebble rubble with stone dressings and reused ashlar. Roofs of plain tiles. South elevation: Gable parapets to nave, south porch reconstructed in c.1850 with a two-centred arch of two continuous chamfered orders; south doorway C12 reset with chevron moulded two-centred arch with octagonal shafted jambs each with scalloped capitals and moulded bases, two C14 windows to south wall of three and two lights with C16 head and sunk spandrels. Chancel with two similar windows with Y-tracery in a two-centred head. Interior: Nave arcade of three bays with semi circular arches of two chamfered orders with circular columns, plain capitals (one with water leaf carving) with square abaci; moulded bases with spurs. Chancel arch c.1300, two-centred of two chamfered orders on similar responds with chamfered imposts. Font, C13 with plain circular bowl on rectangular central shaft with chamfered angles and three smaller shafts with moulded capitals and bases. C17 communion table and seats.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p16 VCM: Huntingdonshire pll Pevsner: Buildings of England p207

Listing NGR: TL1370575466

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 16
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 11
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 207

National Grid Reference: TL 13705 75466

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 01:10:00.

End of official listing