This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1130131

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brington and Molesworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54730

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 0875 BRINGTON AND MOLESWORTH BRINGTON

21/11 Parish Church of 28.1.58 All Saints

II*

Parish church. Nave C14, and later west tower and south porch added. Chancel rebuilt in C15, and restored in 1675 dated stone in east gable wall of chancel. Complete restoration in 1868 by Slater. Walls of Weldon limestone rubble with Weldon stone dressings, and ashlar facings. Roofs of plain tiles and lead. South elevation: Tower of three stages with moulded plinth and panelled band of trefoils and quatrefoils at base of broached octagonal spire. Single trefoiled-light window in second stage and belfry window of two trefoiled-transomed-lights with quatrefoil, moulded label and grotesque stops. Grotesque heads at base of broaches to spire. Three tiers of spirelights decreasing in height with gabled heads. Nave with embattled parapet, with two eastern C14 windows of two trefoiled-ogee-lights in a square head with moulded label and head stops, western window c.1340 of three trefoiled ogee- lights with flowing tracery and two-centred head with moulded label and mask-stops. C14 south doorway with two-centred arch of two moulded orders. South porch with two centred archway of two chamfered orders and moulded label. Chancel with two similar C15 windows of two cinquefoil-lights in four-centred head with moulded label. Priest's doorway c.1675 restored with chamfered jambs and square moulded label with carved stops. Interior: Tower arch two-centred of three chamfered orders with inner orders springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch, C15, two-centred with two chamfered orders, the inner order springing from attached half-round shafts with moulded capitals and bases. In south wall a square headed squint; in north wall the upper doorway of the rood loft staircase projects from the wall. Seat formed from extended sill of south-east window. Piscina, C13 reset with shafted jambs and central shaft with moulded capitals and bases. Font. C13 plain oval tapering bowl with C14 octagonal to square base. Font cover octagonal, pyramidal with turned finial, C17. North door C16 with battens and strap hinges. Nave roof dated 1674 of four bays, low pitched with cambered tie beams and curved braces with trefoiled spandrels, carved bosses to tie beams. Glass in three nave windows, C14 fragments. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p27 VCH: Huntingdonshire p20 Pesvner: Buildings of England p213. Woodger, A: Huntingdonshire Church Towers Archaeol J 141 1984

Listing NGR: TL0825775958

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 27
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 20
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 213
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 141, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 08257 75958

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 02:55:30.

End of official listing