PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130139

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 07:04:52.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bythorn and Keyston

National Grid Reference: TL 05702 75911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 0475 BYTHORN AND KEYSTON BYTHORN

19/33 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St Lawrence

II*

Parish church. Reused C12 details. Late C13 chancel, nave and north aisle. South aisle and arcade early C14. Chancel rebuilt c.1340 and widened, also north aisle. West tower and south porch c.1340. Clerestory C15 and north chapel C16. Restorations, tower and spire 1843, the whole church in 1870 and chancel 1874, tower repairs in 1907 and capping c.1960. Walls of Weldon limestone rubble, and field stones, squared and ashlar Weldon stone. Roofs of slate and lead. South elevation: West tower of three stages with moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses rising above belfry windows, and with a frieze band of quatrefoils in circles with a moulded cornice enriched with carved grotesque faces. Octagonal broached spire originally with three tiers of spire lights, now capped. Rectangular projecting stair turret in south-east corner. Clerestory with four square-headed two-trefoiled-light windows and embattled parapet. South aisle has three restored two-trefoiled-light windows with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with moulded labels and mask stops. South doorway C13 reset with moulded imposts and two-centred chamfered head with moulded label and defaced head stops. South porch restored with two-centred archway of two chamfered orders supported by semi-circular attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel of two bays with steeply pitched roof, two two-light restored windows with C14 jambs. Interior: Nave, north arcade late C13, of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded label to the nave, and with alternating circular and octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. South arcade early C14 of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded label to the nave, and quatrefoil piers with moulded caps and bases,. The western arch was probably rebuilt when the tower was built. Tower arch, two-centred of continuous moulded orders with moulded label to the nave, above the arch is the line of the former roof. Chancel arch restored c.1340, two-centred of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner on semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered bases and on either side a squint. North chapel arcade C16 of two bays with two-centred arches of two orders, the outer hollow-chamfered and continuous and the inner springing from semi-circular shafts to a central pier and responds with moulded capitals and defaced bases. Recess in east wall of chancel; south east window carried down to form a seat; piscina C13 resited with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled head with cusping, bowl with octofoiled drain. Font, C16 or C17 octagonal bowl with chamfered upper and lower edge, plain octagonal stem and chamfered base on modern plinth. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM. Sundials on buttress of south wall of chancel, and south-west tower buttress.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p46 VCH: Huntingdonshire p26 Pevsner: Buildings of England p226 Inskipp-Ladds. Correspondence 1907 HRO

Listing NGR: TL0570275911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54752

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 46
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 26
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 226

End of official listing