CROWN AND WOOLPACK AND WOODPACK FARMHOUSE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130149

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CROWN AND WOOLPACK AND WOODPACK FARMHOUSE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE, GREAT NORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROWN AND WOOLPACK AND WOODPACK FARMHOUSE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 19:04:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CROWN AND WOOLPACK AND WOODPACK FARMHOUSE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE, GREAT NORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Conington

National Grid Reference: TL 16852 86642

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 18 NE CONINGTON GREAT NORTH ROAD (East Side) 2/37 Crown and Woolpack and Woolpack Farmhouse 21.7.51 adjoining on south side (formerly listed as Crown and Woolpack Inn)

GV II Coaching inn. Now public house and farmhouse. Possibly 1791. Red brick, Flemish bond and steeply pitched collyweston stone slate roof with parapetted gable ends on kneelers. Red brick stacks. Half-H plan. Centre range of two storeys and attic. Two hipped dormers with two C18 16 pane hung sashes flanking a central gabled pediment with a restored bulls-eye window with raised keyblocks. Open boxing and segmental arches to symmetrical first floor window disposition of three C19 hung sashes in the gabled centred bay and two similar outer windows, one with twelve pane hung sash. Ground floor had a central bay window and doorway adjacent on north side. Both now removed and replaced by tripartite hung sash, and flanked by three hung sashes including two with twelve pane glazing bars. The south crosswing is also of two storeys and attic with end parapet and projecting side stack on south side. Hipped dormer to north pitch. Gable end with original bulls eye pivot window with raised keyblocks. Segmental arch to C19 hung sash with central glazing bar above late C19 red brick bay window. In the north wall some of the window openings have been remade and recessed in C19, including the C18 shouldered doorway architrave, which is now recessed. Two storey red brick late C19 porch on south side. Some disturbance of the brickwork in the centre of the main range and round a ground floor window indicate earlier alterations. North wing. Red brick, now cement rendered and lower pitch collyweston stone slate roof with end parapet and bulls eye window opening to gable end. Two storeys. Gable end has one two-light hung sash in segmental arch at first floor above a ground floor tripartite hung sash with glazing bars. The windows in the side elevations are modern but in the original openings. Inside none of the original features remain. A note in the S. Inskipp Ladds Collection on the Norris Museum, St Ives copied from the diaries of John Bing, 5th Visc. Torrington states that the Crown and Woolpack was just built in 1791. An inn on the site is associated with Dick Turpin (d.1739), the highwayman.

Norris Museum, St. Ives: S. Inskipp Ladds Collection Norris Museum: Photographic Collection Norris Museum: Rev. Cuthbert Bede, Watercolour (mid C19) V.C.H. Hunts. Vol. III, p146

Listing NGR: TL1685286642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54671

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 146

End of official listing