Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1130160

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 10:20:22.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Upwood and the Raveleys

National Grid Reference: TL 25943 82687


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 2582 13/66



GV I Parish church. Circa 1100 chancel arch, c.1200 north nave arcade, and rebuilding of chancel. Late C13 south arcade and west tower. 1880-90 rebuilding of north aisle and west tower. Fieldstone, rubblestone and dressed limestone. Parapetted roofs. Plan of west tower, nave and north and south aisles and chancel.

West tower of three stages, embattled with crocketted corner pinnacles, and short spire, leaded and moulded main cornice. C19 west window. Early C14 niche built in west wall and a corbel of a woman's head in a wimple reset. Bell stage of two openings divided by mullion in two centred arch with label. Nave has C15 clerestory of three windows of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. South aisle has pentice roof with end parapets. Two restored three-light windows. Doorway in two centred arch of continuously moulded orders. Chancel, C12, remodelled C14-C15, restored C19-C20. One C12 lancet and two C14-C15 windows in south wall, one with low side. C15 embattled parapet and C20 buttressing. Restored east window of three lights, C15. Another C12 lancet in north wall and two cinquefoil lights. North aisle, C12 in origin. Restored C14-C15. Fenestration of two windows, of three cinquefoil lights each in four centred arches.

Interior: C13 tower arch. Two centred of three chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal columns to the responds. North arcade, C12 of three bays. Round arches of two chamfered orders. The western arch was rebuilt in C13. Round columns with scalloped capitals, chamfered abaci rebated corners and moulded base.

Remains of two blocked early C12 windows above north arcade. West end of north aisle has a lancet window with a trefoil head and a wide splay rear arch. The south arcade is C13. Three bays of two centred arches of two unequal chamfered orders, on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C15 roof in three bays. Braced tie beams with pierced spandrels, on jackposts carried on unmoulded stone corbels. Carved bosses at intersections of intermediate principal rafters and purlins. C13 piscina in south wall of south aisle.

Chancel arch and responds, c.1100, remain from aisleless church. Depressed round arch of two unmoulded orders on piers with square responds and chamfered impost. The chancel has deep splays to the lancets in north and south walls. Monuments. North wall of chancel. Peter Phesaunt (1649) and Mary (Bruges), his wife. Early C17. Inscribed stone tablet flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an entablature with flaming urns, an achievement of arms with large pheasant crest, apron with hour glass and skull. South wall of south aisle wall. Monument. 1730. Stone cartouche flanked by Ionic engaged columns with entablature and segmental pediment with emblems of mortality.

Font: C12. Square bowl on square base. The lower edge of the bowl is chamfered and the upper edge of the plinth is splayed. C17 font cover oak. Communion table in south aisle, C17. Oak. Turned legs with rail. Restored. Chancel screen: C15. Repaired. Three bays including centre bay. Ogee foiled heads.

Earl Ailwyn gave the manor of Upwood and Raveley to the Abbot of Ramsey in c.970. In 1086 the Abbot had a church and priest there and II considerable woodland.

V.C.H. Hunts., Vol. II R.C.H.M. Hunts., mon (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p360

Listing NGR: TL2594382687


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54699

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 360

End of official listing