CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130171

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:46:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Upton and Coppingford

National Grid Reference: TL 17448 78506

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 NE UPTON MAIN STREET (North Side)

4/162 Church of St. Margaret 28.1.58 (Formerly listed as Church of St.Margaret,Upton) - II*

Small parish church mainly of C13 but the C12 south doorways to the chancel and south aisle suggest an earlier church on the site. C13 nave and chancel, C14 west tower and broach spire. In 1870 the north aisle was rebuilt by G.G. Scott and the south aisle and much of the west tower were cased in limestone ashlar. Of coursed limestone rubble and pebblestone. C14. West tower of three stages and bell stage. Gargoyles to main cornice. Two cinquefoil openings in four centred head with moulded label and return stops to each wall of bell stage. Broach spire of Barnack ashlar with two tiers of gabled spire lights. Nave with C19 tiled roof and c.1870 clerestorey of Ketton stone. Each side has three windows of two ogee lights in square heads. The south aisle has larger similar windows to those of the clerestorey. The south doorway is late C11 or early C12 and probably reset. Rounded headed arch with roll moulding and small attached shafts with scallop capitals. The bases of the doorway have been renewed with Ketton stone. Early C13 chancel with plain tiled roof. One lancet window in north and south walls. South doorway with chamfered reveal and trefoil cusping to head. Moulded label and mask stops. East window also early C13. Three lights with tracery intersecting at head in two centred arch. Interior. C14 tower arch two centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals. North and south aisles now of three bays, but originally extending west before insertion of tower. Early C13 two centred arches of two chamfered orders on round columns with moulded round capitals and hold-water bases. The windows in the south aisle have deep splayed reveals. Chancel arch probably C14 and of two wave moulded orders on C13 responds of two chamfered orders. In the north wall of the chancel there is a tomb recess with a shallow moulded arch. Restored C13 double piscina in south wall of south aisle. Two centred arch chamfered with trefoil cusping to each. Continuous moulded label with return stops. Trefoil cusped drain to each. Fine C12 font. Square with each side carved with double scallop design. One C13 round stem with detached subsidiary shafts with C13 capitals and bases but modern marble shafts. RCHM (Hunts), p278.

Listing NGR: TL1744878506

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54628

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 278

End of official listing