THE GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130204

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 15:16:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Spaldwick

National Grid Reference: TL 12922 72806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 SW SPALDWICK HIGH STREET (North Side)

6/131 The George 21.7.51

GV II*

C16 and C17 inn, timber framed and plastered, plain tile roofs. The earliest two storey building of hall and jettied crosswing with half-hipped roof was extended in early C17 to west by a further room and a gabled crosswing of two storeys with attics. Crosswing linked by covered way at first floor level to late timber framed barn to west. Central ridge stack to crosswing, end stack to east and good, C17 ridge stack to main range with two -shafts bridged by a round headed arch. Four first floor windows include three horizontal sliding sash windows with glazing bars. Four, three-light horizontal sliding sash windows with glazing bars at ground floor with one small bay window. Main entrance has half-glazed door, and panelled door to right hand. Interior has large inglenook hearths moulded and stop- chamfered ceiling beams. Wall paintings, possibly early C17 in first floor room of four large figures dressed for hunting. VCH (Hunts) p13. RCHM (Hunts) p244. Norris Museum, St. Ives. Inskip Ladds Collection. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p345. Trans. Cambs & Hunts Arch Soc. Vol.VI, p49.

Listing NGR: TL1292272806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54601

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 244
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 13
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 345
'Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaelogical Society Transactions' in Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaelogical Society Transactions, , Vol. 6, (), 49

End of official listing