MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130210

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, THE MALTINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 23:40:12.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, THE MALTINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Alconbury

National Grid Reference: TL 18498 76081

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 NE ALCONBURY THE MALTINGS (South Side)

4/23 Manor Farmhouse 21.7.51 II* -

Farmhouse, early to mid C17 including part of an earlier C16 timber framed building on site. Local red brick, English and Flemish bond, with some reused mediaeval Barnack stone at base of east side stack. Cross-wings to east and west flank main range with gabled, rear stair turret and two storey addition to south-west possibly built later in C17. North facing elevation; two storeys with attics. Both cross-wings with stepped parapet gables and kneelers; plain plaster band with two courses of projecting bricks between floors and brick plinth common to original ranges. Chamfered brick labels to most original windows. Cross-wing to east has large side stack with grouped diagonal shafts. Small, three-leaded light casement, attic window, one five-leaded-light casement window with wooden mullions at first floor, and at ground floor large five-leaded- light casement with transome similar to early C18 rear windows. Main range has original boarded door and chamfered architrave to right hand of original eight, leaded-light casement window with wooden frame and chamfered mullions in flat moulded brick arch. Above door an original two-light casement window and to left hand a replacement C18 hung sash window with glazing bars. West cross-wing attic window, three horizontal sliding sashes with glazing bars, first floor, three-light casement window set at lower level and one four-light casement window at ground floor. Plaster covers joist of C16 jetty. Main range has one large rear stack with two diagonal shafts. Interior has moulded ceiling beams, sealed hearths with one large cooking hearth in east cross-wing. Staircase, originally in turret behind hall stack, rebuilt in north-east of hall using original newels with shaped heads. Staircase in west wing possibly original and rises to attic floor. Some reused panelling at first floor, early C18 doors and plank doors. Exposed frame of earlier house in east wall, raised to height of cross-wing by C17 framed walls. RCHM (Hunts) p10. VCH (Hunts) p7.

Listing NGR: TL1858876117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54510

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 10
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 7

End of official listing