THE TOWERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130291

Date first listed: 03-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: THE TOWERS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 16:04:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TOWERS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Buckden

National Grid Reference: TL 19248 67730

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKDEN HIGH STREET TL 1867 (EAST SIDE) 5/27 THE TOWERS GV II

Villa built in 1872 (dated plaque) by Col. Sir Robert Edis, architect. Red brick with limestone dressings. Two and three storeys with three projecting gabled ranges with flanking wings. Slate roofs with pierced ridge tiles, side stack and internal stacks with octagonal shafts. Stone capped plinth, cornice, and bands linking window sills. Hung sash windows with relieving arches above stone mullioned and transomed lights. Towered entrance of three stages with pyramidal slate roof and iron finial. Embattled parapet, moulded stone cornice, dated plaque in west wall above cinquefoiled window. Doorway of Ketton stone, four centred, deeply moulded arch, with moulded abacus and shafted jambs. Shield above door, 'Salve' supported by winged dogs. Interior has original C19 details. Pevsner - Buildings of England, p215

Listing NGR: TL1924867730

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54298

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 215

End of official listing