THE GEORGE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130293

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE HOTEL, 37 AND 39, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130293 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 02:37:41.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE HOTEL, 37 AND 39, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Buckden

National Grid Reference: TL 19130 67592

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKDEN HIGH STREET TL 1867 (WEST SIDE) 5/31 Nos. 37 and 39 24.10.51 (THE GEORGE HOTEL) (FORMERLY LISTED AS THE GEORGE HOTEL WITH NOS. 41, 43 AND 45) GV II

The hotel is part of an early C18 coaching inn, originally with a courtyard plan, and galleried timber-framed rear wings of earlier dates. In c.1925 the south facade of the west wing was considerably altered, and a two storey bay window added to the south gable of the street range. C18 street facade; red brick, plain tile roofs. Eight bays, three storeys, with plain brick parapet and stone copings, brick bands between floors. Original entry to south replaced by a window and other blocked windows opened in early C20. Five flush framed hung sash windows with glazing bars in gauged, flat brick arches to around floor. Coach entrance to north with eliptical arch of gauged bricks and key stone. Eight first floor, and five second floor windows with three blind windows, all similar to ground floor, though some are replacements. Large wrought iron inn-sign bracket over archway. Interior details largely C19, some C18 doors. Timber-frame of rear south wing exposed at first floor. North facing gallery has C19 windows and a wooden shuttered window reputed to have been used by Dick Turpin. RCHM - Huntingdonshire, p39 Pevsner - Buildings of England, p216 Edgington, S B - History of Buckden 1980, p15 C.R.O. Huntingdon - Collection of photographs

Listing NGR: TL1913067592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54301

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 39
Edgington, S B, History of Buckden, (1980), 15
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 216

End of official listing