THE GREAT TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1130324
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
THE GREAT TOWER, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GREAT TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130324.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:28:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GREAT TOWER, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckden
National Grid Reference:
TL 19252 67685

Details

BUCKDEN HIGH STREET TL 1867 (EAST SIDE) 5/25 THE GREAT TOWER 24.10.51 (FORMERLY LISTED AS PART OF BUCKDEN PALACE) GV I

Late C15 tower recently restored by the Claretian Mission. Red brick with burnt brick diapering and patterning. Limestone dressings. Three storeys with basement and four octagonal, embattled turrets at angles rising above the main parapet. Moulded string courses between floors; chamfered plinth. Windows of one, two, and three lights with cinquefoiled lights in square heads and moulded labels at ground and first floors, and basement. The doorway to the basement has an inner and outer arch, the doorway to the ground floor is approached by steps and has a four-centred arch and label. The interior has C20 inserted floors. North-east turret has a stone staircase, partly restored, with moulded stone hand-rail and stone newel. South-east turret has recesses for garderobes. The fireplace at ground floor has a four-centred arch. The first floor fireplace is C17 with moulded jambs, the second floor fireplace is plastered brick. Doorways to the turrets at each floor level have four-centred heads. Since Domesday the manor of Buckden had belonged to the Bishop of Lincoln until it was purchased by Sir Arthur Marshall (Marshall and Snelgrove) in late C19. The outer gateway and boundary wall, the inner gatehouse and curtain wall are remains of Buckden Palace built by Bishop John Iiilliams (1625-1642). The moat with the exception of the western arm was filled in and the medieval hall and great chamber were demolished by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners after 1838. Further demolitions were made by Mr James Marshall of the north wing of the inner gable house, and the medieval bridge. Queen Catherine of Aragon resided at the Palace in 1533 and 1534,AM. RCHM - Huntingdonshire, pp34-38 VCH - Huntingdonshire, p268 Pevsner - Buildings of England, p215 Inskip Ladds Collection. Norris Mus. St Ives A History of Buckden Palace, M Sweeny, 1981, p4 C.R.O. Huntingdon - Collection of photographs and prints

Listing NGR: TL1925267685

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
54294
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 34-38
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 268
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 215
Sweeny, M, A History of Buckden Palace, (1981), 4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16929/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].