CECIL SHARP HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130379

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CECIL SHARP HOUSE, REGENTS PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CECIL SHARP HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130379 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 11:52:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CECIL SHARP HOUSE, REGENTS PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28446 83756

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2883NW REGENT'S PARK ROAD 798-1/75/1383 (North side) 22/12/87 Cecil Sharp House

II

Headquarters of the English Folk Dance and Song Society. 1929-30. By HM Fletcher. For the English Folk Dance Society. Partly rebuilt 1949-51 after war damage. Brown brick and tiled, hipped roof. Neo-Georgian style. Rectangular plan on a triangular corner site. EXTERIOR: 1 to 2 storeys plus basement. Front facade of 1 tall storey, 5 bays. Square-headed stone-architraved doorways with wooden panelled doors to end bays; approached by steps with cast-iron railings. Gauged brick flat arches to tall metal framed windows with margin glazing and small panes articulating the double height dance hall. Pilaster strips at angles continue through parapet with brick band to terminate with stone ball finials. INTERIOR: following the post-war rebuilding a former musicians' gallery in the dance hall was replaced by a large specially commissioned (approx 20m long) mural painting by Ivon Hitchens which is of historic and artistic interest. Other walls of hall wooden panelled to window height. HISTORICAL NOTE: Cecil Sharp collected, edited, performed and wrote about English folk-songs and dances; he was the leader of the modern English folk-music revival. He joined the Committee of the Folk Song Society in 1904 and founded the English Folk Dance Society in 1911; the societies amalgamated in 1932. The building houses Sharp's library which he bequeathed on his death in 1924.



Listing NGR: TQ2844683756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477848

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing