This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 75-85 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 75-85 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1130409

Location

NUMBERS 75-85 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 75-85, ROYAL COLLEGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477888

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2983NW ROYAL COLLEGE STREET 798-1/77/1405 (West side) 18/03/93 Nos.75-85 (Odd) and attached railings

GV II

Terrace of 6 houses. Late C18. Probably built by Joseph Kirkman and Alexander Hendy as part of the development of Lord Camden's Estate. Patched yellow stock brick; Nos 75 & 85 with channelled stucco ground floors, all with continuous stucco 1st floor sill band. Slated mansard roofs, each with a dormer and slab chimney-stacks on the party walls. 3 storeys, attics and basements. Round-arched entrances, with rusticated keystones except No.89, fanlights and later doors; entrances to end houses on returns. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes. Parapets. INTERIORS: not inspected but noted to retain some original features. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas. HISTORICAL NOTE: Kirkman and Hendy were amongst the first speculative builders to take leases following Lord Camden's Estate Act passed in 1788 for the building of 1,400 houses for "industrious artisans" on the southern part of his Kentish Town Estate. Their first take was in June 1790 and the leases for the houses on Royal College Street all ran from Michaelmas 1790. Nos 75-85 appear on the Stockdale Map of 1797.





Listing NGR: TQ2942983732

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29434 83726

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130409 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 09:36:16.

End of official listing