Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130417

Date first listed: 30-May-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, PIT LANE


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130417 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 09:42:52.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, PIT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Halton (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 51706 87751


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/94 Church of St. Luke

30.5.63 II*

Parish Church 1190 with C14 tower and alterations in C17 and C19. Red sandstone with slate roof. Square west tower 5 bay nave,side aisles, a south transept and chancel narrower and less lofty than the nave. Entrance porches are opposite in north and south aisles. Tower has corner buttresses, curvilinear west window and smaller louvred windows to all faced at bell-stage. Aisle windows curvilinear or lancet forms but there are perpendicular windows in the chancel and south transept. Clerestorey windows are pitched dormers, very little stained glass. The tower, chancel and transept are crenellated and the chancel has crocketted finials. Interior arcade gothic arches supported on octagonal columns with exception of the 2 north east bays which are circular with stiff leaf caps and common to the memorial chapel. The chancel has choir stalls with poppyheads. Oak screens separate the chapel from the north aisle and nave and the choir from the organ chamber. The chancel has a fine panelled oak ceiling and the nave braced collar trusses. The chapel contains good alabaster and marble monuments from 1635 and 1822.

Listing NGR: SJ5170687751


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56055

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing