DUDDON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130566

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: DUDDON OLD HALL, WILLINGTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DUDDON OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 10:42:48.

Location

Statutory Address: DUDDON OLD HALL, WILLINGTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Duddon

National Grid Reference: SJ 51546 64697

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 56 SW DUDDON C.P. WILLINGTON LANE

(West Side)

5/29 Duddon Old Hall.

22/10/1952

GV II

Farmhouse: late C16, graffito date of 1772, early C19 alterations and additions and late C19 restoration of timber framing. Partly timber-framed on stone plinth, partly washed brick. Graduated stone-slate roof, and some Welsh slate. Projecting stone stacks at either end. 1 plastered ridge chimney. Plan of hall and crosswing. 2-storey, 4-bay south front. Left end bay is timber framed and projects under barge-boarded gable. 5-light ovolo moulded wood-mullioned windows with smaller 4-light windows at high level to either side. Studding in ground storey, lozenges and shaped balusters in first floor and lozenges and serpentine struts in the gable. Carved brackets and tiebeams. 2nd bay has wooden doorcase with a triangular pediment and a 6-panelled door. Windows are 2 and 3-light casements under flat wedged stone heads and stone sills. Graffito date on right end, diagonal strutting in rear gable and added parallel range to rear. Interior: Broad entrance hall with hall to right. This has inglenook with massive oak bressumer and heck post with former entry against screen. Chamfered ceiling beams. To left is parlour and above is main chamber. This is open to the ridge and wainscotted throughout with fluted panels at the top. Moulded stone fireplace with depressed arch, 6-panelled door with reeded rails. Similar door to cupboard at top of stairs. Some wainscotting in bathroom and door with curved H-hinges. Room over hall with deeply chamfered and stopped ceiling beam. Winder stair to rear shows blocked diamond-mullioned window. Range to rear were cheeserooms, with base of stone press below and whey rotted floorboards above.

The unusual windows in the crosswing would have exactly matched those in Church House, Tarvin (q.v.) and were also used by Douglas at The Bars and the Owen Owen building, Eastgate Street, Chester. A photograph of the unrestored gable is given in J Parkinson and E A Ould Old Cottages, Farm Houses and other half-timbered buildings. London 1904.

Listing NGR: SJ5156364719

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55733

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parkinson, , Ould, , Old Cottages Farm Houses and other half timbered buildings in Shropshire Herefordshire and Cheshire, (1904)

End of official listing