CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130574

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CAPENHURST LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 01:41:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CAPENHURST LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Capenhurst

National Grid Reference: SJ 36796 73789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 37 SE CAPENHURST C.P. CAPENHURST LANE (South Side)

4/1 Church of the Holy Trinity.

1/6/1967 II

Church: 1856-9 by James Harrison, tower and much of interior of 1889-90 by John Douglas (Pevsner and Hubbard). Red sandstone blocks with ashlar dressings. Purple tile roof. 4-bay nave, south porch, 2-bay chancel, vestry and 3-stage west tower with spire. Coped gabled porch with kneelers has moulded 2-centred arched doorcase with label mould. Remaining bays of nave are divided by heavy buttresses and have 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and label moulds. Chancel with diagonal buttresses and sill band has 1 and 3-light windows with trefoil heads. 4-light Decorated east window. Squat tower is buttressed and has octagonal stair turret at the south-west corner. 3-light west window with Edward VII Coronation clock above. Around the top is a timber-framed stage of 6 by 2 small frames with weather boarding below and pierced Gothic panels (now much damaged) above. This carries a broached spire with small Lakeland slates and a louvred lucarne. Interior: Arch-braced collar roof to nave, sprung from stone carved-head corbels. Splayed reveals to the windows. Broad low tower arch reveals font behind. 2-centred chancel arch on octagonal responds. Scissor-braced wagon roof. Panel to sides of good stone reredos carved in manner of medieval tiles with Ten Commandments inscribed above, in Arts and Crafts style script.

Listing NGR: SJ3679673789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55644

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

End of official listing