THE RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130589

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:34:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Malpas

National Grid Reference: SJ4848847267

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 44 NE 2/40

MALPAS C.P CHURCH STREET (North Side) The Rectory

II

Rectory circa 1760, much altered externally late C19 and with rear wing and attached buildings demolished mid C20. Red-brown Flemish bond brickwork with hipped grey slate roof. 3 storeys; 5 windows. The front has a 3-storey projecting canted bay of 3 windows with 1 window to each side. Sandstone plinth; 3-course plain band at 1st floor; coved plaster eaves. Parapet removed. Lower side windows were Venetian; that to right survives, with stone case. Other windows were recessed small-pane sashes; 1 survives in each oblique side of central bay. Other windows mullioned and transomed. Upper storey of canted bay pargeted early C20 with inserted 4-panel casements and furnished with swept hexagonal spire with tiny hipped dormer. The 2 surviving sashes in lower storey and all upper storey openings have shaped-keystone wedge lintels (c.f. Drake's House and Cottage item 68 and Post Office item 60). 2 symmetrically placed ridge chimneys and a flush chimney on left end wall. The right end has small window inserted left of door, inscribed KWT 1883. All openings to windows (except mullioned and transomed insertion) have keystone wedge lintels. Projecting stone cills to all unaltered openings. The left (service) end has miscellaneous windows, some C18. Interior: Central front room of 3rd storey,receiled early C20, has brass plate on door inscribed "Reginald Heber, Bishop of Calcutta, of excellent memory, was born in this upper chamber upon the 21st of April 1783 + R.I.P.". Bishop Heber was notable both as missionary and hymn-writer.

Listing NGR: SJ 48488 47267

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55583

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing