SAIGHTON PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130675

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: SAIGHTON PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, SAIGHTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAIGHTON PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:32:17.

Location

Statutory Address: SAIGHTON PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, SAIGHTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Saighton

National Grid Reference: SJ 44319 62054

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 SW SAIGHTON C.P. SAIGHTON LANE (North west side)

3/179 Saighton Primary School and attached railings

II

School, 1862, for the 2nd Marquis of Westminster, probably by Edward Hodkinson. Brown brick in English bond on weathered sandstone plinth, with red tile roof. Stone ovolo mullioned windows, some also transomed, with bold hoodmoulds; double-ovolo reveals and heads to windows and doors. A simple open belfry of sandstone with a taller brick chimney, attached, is by the school door; the bell was transferred here on demolition of the Church of England school at Handbridge in 1862. Louvred ventilator under a short, square spire at junction of roofs. An extension to the school, probably 1900's, right, with details in keeping, is of harder red brick. Cast iron railings to playground on sandstone plinth; the top rail is double, with cross-bracing. Cf. the railing to Aldford School.

Listing NGR: SJ4431962054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55377

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing