CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130685

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 10:32:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dunham-on-the-Hill

National Grid Reference: SJ 47227 73075

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 47SE DUNHAM ON THE HILL C.P. CHESTER ROAD (WEST SIDE)

5/15 Church of St Luke

II

Church. 1860-1 by James Harrison in early C14th style. Sandstone, slate roof. Nave and chancel with bellcote at west end. South porch, north and south vestries. 3 bay aisleless nave windows have pointed heads and reticulated tracery. 2-light nave windows have plain leaded lights. 4-light west window and 3-light east window have stained glass. Outer porch doorway has hood mould with returned stops. 3 niches within porch, one on left, 2 on right, have pointed heads. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, stone gable parapet, stone crosses at east end of nave and chancel. Interior: Timber screen has linenfold panelling. Pine pews. Octagonal stone font inscribed and dated 1863 has octagonal pedestal and base. Octagonal timber pulpit Panelled screen behind altar. Cross designed by G.G.Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry. High Victorian style with heavy relief. Elaborate gilt cross, brought from above choir screen, Chester Cathedral 1921. Pevsner & Hubbard.

Listing NGR: SJ4722773075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55398

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

End of official listing