This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLOCK TOWER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOCK TOWER

List entry Number: 1130733

Location

CLOCK TOWER, THE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Mere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320205

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8032-8132 MERE THE SQUARE (west side)

6/76 Clock Tower

GV II

Clock tower. Dated 1868. Rock faced limestone, ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof, wooden turret and ventilating louvre. Square plan with one offset diagonal buttress, pyramidal roof broached to octagonal stage with clock on two faces, further small slated pyramid to louvred crowning feature with weather- cock. Plain plank doors to moulded arch in east front with drip to leaf stops under panel 'Albert Edward 1868' and the Prince of Wales feathers. Blind lancet north and south, leaded glazed to west; corbel table cornice to main roof. Small gabled lucarne each face of roof slope. Holds an important position in centre of former market place, on the site occupied by the Market House until 1863. The present clock tower was given to the town by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales.

Listing NGR: ST8124732362

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 81247 32362

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:04:54.

End of official listing