This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOL THE GROVE BUILDING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOL THE GROVE BUILDING

List entry Number: 1130753

Location

SCHOOL THE GROVE BUILDING, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Mere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8032-8132 MERE CHURCH STREET (North)

6/31 School: The Grove Building

GV II

School. Dated 1899. Squared and coursed limestone with hard red brick dressings, plain tile roof. An L-plan building returning to Barton Lane. Facing church the front is one storey with attic at left end, three flemish gables, that to left wider and with semi-circular termination; 1+5 windows. Left has largeoculus with glazing bars ingable above a recessed door with some glazing, and two small 2-light casements all in a brick panel and with segmental heads. A brick buttress in one offset, then alternately 2-light casements with transome and lofty 2-light casements with 2 transomes to segmental heads in face gables; all with glazing bars to small square panes. A further brick buttress extreme right. Brick or Terra-cotta dressings including cill band and decorative tops to gables. Broad sweep of roof, panelled brick stack far left. Return, to Barton Lane has high gable to pointed crown, with 2 large 2-light, 2-transome windows as front; then long wing with panelled door and fanlight in arched opening, 3-small vertical casement and a 2-light with transome. Then a wing with two gables with concave swept cappings, windows at front and a large stack flush with the eaves. A lead covered pyramidal ventilator near junction with front block. Interior seems much as built, including a glazed brick dado; roof -trusses now ceiled at tie level. A vigorous and assured building, very characteristic of the turn of the century; built at the expense of Miss Julia Chafyn Grove at a cost of £2,400+ the left-hand gable in Barton Lane, includes a square panel with inscription 'The Grove Buildings; 1899'. Replaced or augmented the adjacent National School (q.v.).

Listing NGR: ST8113032317

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 81126 32313

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:29:07.

End of official listing