Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130790

Date first listed: 21-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHAPEL


Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130790 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 04:22:27.


Statutory Address: METHODIST CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Melbecks


National Grid Reference: SD 95062 98130


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


MELBECKS GUNNERSIDE SD 99 NE 15/89 Methodist Chapel GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Dated 1866. Coursed watershot rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3 bays to front and sides. Openings have projecting ashlar surrounds with roll moulding to arrises. Ashlar plinth with bench mark, rusticated quoins. Central doorway has round-headed arch with imposts, voussoirs, keystone and double board doors. Windows: round-headed arch with imposts and keystone to surrounds, 8-pane sashes. First floor windows have sill band and a pair of windows over door. Band forms pediment on gable. In tympanum, plaque with inscription 'WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL ERECTED 1866', and above it, circular opening with timber ventilation grille. Ashlar copings, at apex of gable a spiked ball with obelisk finial, on pedestal. Side elevations: on ground floor, sash windows with glazing bars in quoined surrounds, on first floor 8-pane sashes in round-headed surrounds. Interior: gallery on cast-iron columns, some original furnishings. Replaced chapel of 1789 on same site, and some tombstones in graveyard older than present building.

Listing NGR: SD9506298130


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322028

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing