This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1130805

Location

MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Grinton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321961

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRINTON GRINTON SE 0498 (east side) 23/24 Manor House 7.12.66 - II Manor House. Dated 1670. Rubble with quoins, stone slate roof. 2-cell axial stack plan of 2 storeys, with gabled porch at front, and half outshut and 2 modern extensions at rear. The roof of the left-hand half has been raised. On the ground floor, 2 restored 3-light chamfered mullioned windows with original hood moulds. The porch, on right, has a quoined doorway facing left with a chamfered stone surround, 4-centred soffit and central nib on chamfer, plus an old boarded door. On the front wall of the porch a 2-light mullioned window, and above it a plaque inscribed 'HELP, LORD, FOR VAINE IS THE HELPE OF MAN. RO[GER] HILARY 1670'. Across the front wall of the porch is a string course with cavetto section. The first floor windows have been altered. Roger Hillary was Lord of the Manor of East Grinton. 'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report'. No 18.

Listing NGR: SE0473598166

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 18, ()

National Grid Reference: SE 04730 98166

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:41:26.

End of official listing