BLACKBURN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130810

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: BLACKBURN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACKBURN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 22:10:58.

Location

Statutory Address: BLACKBURN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Grinton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SE 04625 98449

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRINTON GRINTON SE 0498 (west side) 23/32 Blackburn Hall 4.9.52 GV II* * Manor House. Part-medieval, remodelled and enlarged 1635. For Elizabeth Hutton of Marske-in-Swaledale who married into the Blackburn family. Rubble with crude quoins, stone slate roof. Cross-wing thought to be medieval with main range of 1635 at right angles to right, giving L-shaped plan. Outshut in angle contains stairs. 3 storeys. Chamfered mullioned windows under dripmoulds of pediment form. 1635 range has two 3-light windows on first floor, on ground floor one 2-light window and on right a doorway with chamfered stone jambs, 4-centred arch head and boarded door. Kneeler and ashlar coping on right. 2 ridge stacks, at left end and centre, the latter inscribed '--1635'. Front gable end of cross-wing has a 3-light window on each floor and chimney on apex. Rear elevation of 1635 range has a 3-light window and added canted bay on ground floor and 2-light window on first floor. Right hand gable wall of 1635 range has a mullioned window on all floors. Left return of cross-wing has 5 mullioned windows and plain doorway with C18 4-panelled door. Interior: entry to 1635 range leads behind fireplace which has roll-moulding on arris and 4-centred arch with keystone; in spandrels 'EH' and 'B 1635'. Cambered beams to first floor. Stone stairs in straight flight in outshut. The earlier range is thought to be of medieval date, and probably the lodgings for the canons of Bridlington Priory who administered the church. The house became the Nether Hall of West Grinton Manor, which was acquired by the Blackburn family of Richmond and Swaledale in the C17. 'NYCVBSG Report', No 662.

Listing NGR: SE0462598449

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321969

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing