CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130826

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 13:25:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hipswell

National Grid Reference: SE 18768 98304

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH YORKSHIRE RICHMONDSHIRE 5339 SE 19 NE HIPSWELL HIPSWELL 5/27 Church of Saint John 4.2.69 II Church. 1811 and 1893. The church built for Reverend James Robinson. The later work by C.H. Fowler of Durham. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Nave and narrower sanctuary under one roof with west belfry, south porch and north vestry. Quoins. Nave: 5 bays. Belfry has bench mark on west face, light vent and bellcote with corbelled stone cupola. Porch has 4-centred arched opening with date "1811" on apex stone; shaped kneelers and ashlar copings to gable. Inner doorway with chamfered ashlar surround with 4-centred arch. 4 windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds of 1893. Stepped ashlar buttresses between windows and diagonally at corners. Lancet window to l-bay sanctuary. Ashlar copings. 3-light east window with cusped tracery of 1893. North windows have simpler Y-tracery. North vestry of 1893: east lancet window, west board door in chamfered square-headed surround. Interior: chamfered pointed arch to sanctuary. Shouldered doorway of 1893 to vestry. In vestry, C16 trefoiled head of screen or window, 2 1/2 lights with carving in spandrels. Open 5-light timber screen at west end. Wall monument: Reverend James Robinson of the Friary, Richmond, the patron of the church, d.1817, by Davies of Newcastle- upon-Tyne. VHC i, p. 312.

Listing NGR: SE1876898304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321912

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing