This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PEAT STORE OF KELDHEADS LEAD SMELTING MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PEAT STORE OF KELDHEADS LEAD SMELTING MILL

List entry Number: 1130869

Location

PEAT STORE OF KELDHEADS LEAD SMELTING MILL, KELDHEADS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Preston-under-Scar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321807

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 09 SE PRESTON-UNDER-SCAR KELDHEADS LANE (west side)

6/59 Peat Store of Keldheads 6/1/70 Lead Smelting Mill (Formerly listed as Keldheads Mill (former peat store))

- II

Peat store, now hay barn. Mid C19. Rubble, corrugated sheet roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Quoins. On ground floor, 4 cart openings, with semi- circular arches of rubble voussoirs. Plain openings above. The peat store is the only substantially complete building of the Keldheads Lead Smelting Mill, built c1840 and extended in 1855, which replaced an earlier mill near Preston corn mill. In 1855 the smelting mill flue, now collapsed, was extended to a length of about two miles, terminating near Cobscar Lead Smelting Mill in the parish of Redmire (q.v.). The mill ceased to function c1888. The Keldheads Mines were near Preston Mill, in the parish of Wensley (q.v.). Arthur Raistrick, The Lead Industry of Wensleydale and Swaledale, vol.2, "The Smelting Mills" (1975) pp. 101-4.

Listing NGR: SE0779290972

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Raistrick, A, The Lead Industry of Swaledale and Wensleydale: The Mines, (1975), 101-4

National Grid Reference: SE 07792 90972

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:56:04.

End of official listing