MIDDLEHAM BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130935

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: MIDDLEHAM BRIDGE, A6108

Map

Ordnance survey map of MIDDLEHAM BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 06:23:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MIDDLEHAM BRIDGE, A6108

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Leyburn

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Middleham

National Grid Reference: SE1190188756

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 18 NW MIDDLEHAM A6108

3/47 Middleham Bridge

II

Suspension bridge, now road deck-bridge. Dated 1830, altered 1865. By Hansom and Welch. Coursed rubble and ashlar, cast and wrought iron. Each abutment consists of 2 rubble pylons and rear buttressing walls. Each pylon is rectangular in plan and has a battered base; a turret with a loop-hole on inner-facing and river-facing sides, the inner ones originally for suspension cables; and castellated parapets projecting on ashlar corbels. Each pair of pylons joined by a 4-centred chamfered ashlar arch carrying a rubble wall with, on inner faces, 2 blank ashlar shields and a panel. Northern panel inscribed 'THIS BRIDGE was erected by Voluntary Subscription A.D. 1830, RALPH RIDDELL ESQr. of Cheeseburgh Grange, Northumberland having very generously contributed thereto thro' the medium of Mr. J. DOUTHWAITE his Agent by a gift of the land on which the North Abutment and Wing Walls are built. Messrs. HANSOM & WELCH, Architects'. Cast-and wrought-iron bridge deck supported on 2 cast-iron columns into river bed. Wrought-iron parapets, on inner sides panels cast 'HEAD, ASHBY & Co. ENGINEERS 1865 STOCKTON-ON-TEES'. The suspension structure was damaged soon after construction, it is said by the unlikely phenomena of a herd of cattle, which were being driven across the bridge, getting into step. It was repaired, but eventually replaced by the present deck in 1865.

Listing NGR: SE1190088754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321655

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing