This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1131027



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Figheldean

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321484

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/174 Church of St Michael and All Angels 18.2.58 II* Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15 and restored 1851 by J.H. Hugall. Flint with limestone dressings, some greensand to tower. Tiled roofs but lead to aisles. Nave C13 raised in C15 and C14 south aisles. C13 west tower. Early C15 chancel and medieval south porch, restored in 1902. Nave has C19 two-light cusped clerestory windows. Chancel has 2-light cusped windows with quatrefoiled heads and no hoodmoulds. East window 3-light with hood. South aisle has one C15 three-light window in eastern extension. North aisle has C15 three-light window in casement moulded reveals, with blocked door. Tower is of three stages, angle buttresses confined to lower stage. Restored 1679 (datestone) and top stage C19 with Norman revival style 2-light bell openings and parapet on a slight corbel table. Interior: Nave tall and narrow, plastered, with tiled floor. Arcades of 4 bays, early C13 round columns and capitals, colour banded on north side, and those at east of north arcade with nailhead decoration. Arches of 2 chamfered orders. C19 open roof of 3 bays, but retaining C15 cranked tie-beams and long queen posts. Chancel arch carried on corbels. Opening for rood loft stair on north. Roofs to both aisles pitched. Tower arch, late C12, banded green and white stone, with attached shafts and scalloped capitals. Arch remade in C19, and large C19 opening to ringing chamber with a neo-Norman stone balustrade, access stair in wall from south aisle. Chancel is raised over 5 steps. C19 open roof. South priest's door. Trefoiled piscina with shelf and credence shelf in separate niche. Glass: North aisle window has two yellow-stained panels in tracery. Chancel glass by Powell & Sons, 1858-69, and one window of 1878. Fittings: Font, octagonal and plain, reset 1851 on small shafts. Pulpit and chancel fittings of oak, c1930. Communion rail C19. Monuments: In porch, two reset limestone effigies placed on seat and supported by C19 columns. To east, a cross-legged knight in tunic, with short sword and shield, his head resting on a diagonally set pillow. Feet broken but lion remains. To west: another crossed legged knight, also probably late C13, in tunic, holding shield and sword, head resting on square pillow supported by angels, and feet on lion. Also in porch, seven detached stone bosses carved as flowers. In chancel: 10 wall monuments. North side, from east (a) A baroque panel with shaped cushioned shield supported by stretching angels, arms over console support. To Edward Poore, died 1756. (b) Streaked grey marble aedicule with pilasters and broken pediment clasping an urn. Apron below. To Hester Poore, died 1770 and Smart Poore, died 1773. (c) Formal marble tablet with urn over, against large streaked marble oval field. To Edward Poore, died 1787. (d) Wide white marble tablet by Denman on shaped grey field. Poppies either side of inscription, and features in gable. Arms below. To William Dyke, died 1818, and family. South side, from east: (e) White marble. A baroque panel with strapwork and drapery, arms and urn over, putto below. To Smart Poore, died 1747. (f) White marble tablet set against mottled background, with open pediment on consoles. Triglyphs below table and arms on apron. To Rev. John Yorke Clarke, died 1740 and members of Yorke family, by Townsend of Oxford. (g) Oval marble tablet by Reeves of Bath. Inscription on bell shaped field. Partial wreath and arms. To Caroline Williams(Dyke), died 1818. (h) Squat grey and white marble tablet, to Edward Dyke Poore, died 1859, and family. (i) White marble on grey. A corbel with shelf-supporting urn and leaning shield inscribed to Elizabeth Martha Dyke, died 1775, and infant. (j) Arched grey marble with white marble shelf on acanthus corbel, all supportng two urns with wreath and leaning shield inscribed to Sarah and Francis Dyke of Syren Cot, died 1805 and 1806. By King of Bath. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)

Listing NGR: SU1527447491

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 15274 47491


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 12:39:23.

End of official listing