This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BULFORD MANOR, AND FRONT WING WALLS TO DRIVEWAY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BULFORD MANOR, AND FRONT WING WALLS TO DRIVEWAY

List entry Number: 1131036

Location

BULFORD MANOR, AND FRONT WING WALLS TO DRIVEWAY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bulford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BULFORD HIGH STREET SU 14 SE (south side)

6/90 Bulford Manor, and front wing walls to driveway

GV II Manor house, now official dwelling of G.O.C. Land Forces (UK). Late C16-early C17, greatly extended in 1892. Flint and limestone chequerwork with tiled roof. Two storeys and attics, four bays. Central entrance, a 6-panelled door within mid-late C17 rusticated pilasters, with large arched timber canopy on brackets. Ground floor has, over chamfered plinth, four 4-light stone-mullioned windows with inset chamfered mouldings and labels. First floor has seven 18-paned sash windows in wide box frames, the sashes renewed. Four coped gables to attics with ball finials, each with a 3-light stone-mullioned window with label over. Stack to left gable with 3 diagonally set buff brick shafts, and a similar 4-flue stack to rear slope of right bay. Two storey crenellated angled bay window to right gable, probably C19. To rear, a parallel C18 brick block, banded with flint to west gable now containing drawing room and study. Fifteen and 12-paned sashes with 27cm gauged brick lintels and stone keyblocks. Panelled parapet. To east end, extending beyond gable of early building, extensive addition of 1892 by HJ, comprising 3 parallel ranges, the most southerly having a canted bay facing west, and door in re-entrant angle with C18 block. Latter has doorcase on west gable, of stone, attached columns and entablature with triangular pediment. Interior: Not seen in detail. C18 fireplace in drawing room in rear block. At front of house, splayed wing walls to forecourt, terminating in, to right, rusticated limestone pier with cornice and raised ball finial. To left, three similar piers defining a pedestrian gate and main gate to carriage yard.

Listing NGR: SU1652543680

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 16520 43684

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:03:39.

End of official listing