CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1131078
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, PORTNELL'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131078.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:01:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, PORTNELL'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Zeals
National Grid Reference:
ST 78078 31774

Details

ZEALS PORTNELL'S LANE ST 73 SE (north side) 6/201 Church of St Martin 6.1.66 GV II * Anglican parish church. 1842-46 by G.G. Scott, spire added 1876. Rockfaced limestone with ashlar dressings, tiled roof with bands of plain and beaver-tailed tiles. West tower with spire, nave, chancel with north vestry, south porch. Decorated style. Gabled south porch with moulded pointed chamfered doorway with attached shafts, diagonal buttresses and coped verge. South side of nave has one 2-light pointed window to left of porch, two 2-light pointed windows to right. Chancel has blind priest's doorway with 2-light pointed window either side, east end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light window, north side has 2-light window, vestry with pointed north doorway and pair of cusped ogee lancets, external stack, 2-light east and west windows. North side of nave has four 2-light windows, all windows with flowing tracery. Square 3-stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, string courses. 2- light west window, second stage has single-light leaded windows with cusped tracery and hoodmoulds, pinnacles to corners, offset octagonal bellstage with 2-light louvred windows, cornice with gargoyles to recessed spire with gableted windows and moulded finial. Polygonal stair turret with pointed doorway on south side. Interior: Porch has inner screen with double pointed doors, inner door to nave with double planked doors in pointed double chamfered archway. Nave has 4-bay hammer beam roof with stone corbels, arch- braced collar trusses to half-bays, tiled floors. Double chamfered tower arch with attached shafts, screen reset here from chancel arch. C14-style chancel arch with triple. moulded arch on compound pilasters. 1920s screen. Chancel has polychrome tiled floor, moulded pointed archway to organ chamber, chamfered pointed doorway to vestry to right, stone panelled reredos with carved vine frieze, trefoiled piscina on south wall. Other fittings; C19 pews and choir stalls, polygonal stone pulpit with traceried panels, octagonal stone carved font near south doorway. Monuments include stone gothic tablet in chancel to William Frederick Grove, founder of the church and school, died 1847, several brass plaques on nave walls, east window stained glass in memory of William Chafyn-Grove of Zeals House (q.v.). Church paid for by the Grove family of Zeals house, cost £2000, the builder was C. Kirk. A good early Scott interior. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST7807831774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321307
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00208/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.M. Cotton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingTheList[email protected].