BALUSTER BRIDGE AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131082

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: BALUSTER BRIDGE AND GATE PIERS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BALUSTER BRIDGE AND GATE PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 22:50:11.

Location

Statutory Address: BALUSTER BRIDGE AND GATE PIERS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Amesbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14953 41888

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AMESBURY - SU 1541 11/4 Baluster Bridge and gate piers

10.1.53 GV II* Ornamental bridge over River Avon. 1775, rebuilt by Sir William Chambers. Limestone. Three segmental arches with archivolts. Rusticated stonework. Wide band at base of parapet and balustrade of continuous balusters terminating in flattened scrolls linking at angle to piers. Cutwaters both sides. At entrance on to bridge, octagonal tapered bollards restrict traffic to centre. At north end two gate piers, line rusticated, with cornice and block, the finials missing. Wrought iron gates and pedestrian gates outside piers. Of group value as part of the landscape works designed by Henry Flitcroft 1726-30 and Charles Bridgeman 1730-38, and added to by others during the eighteenth century.

Listing NGR: SU1495341888

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321315

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing